HighScope emphasizes the process of active learning. This approach to early childhood education encourages children to initiate their own learning experiences with the guidance of supportive adults. Through daily planning and evaluation sessions, adults create the environment for the children’s emerging abilities.
The HighScope approach to infant/toddler and preschool education helps adults focus on development principles and encourages them to build on children’s existing strengths and accomplishments.
INFANTS AND TODDLERS
Active Learning, Trusting Relationships, Continuity of Care
Like all HighScope programs, the Infant-Toddler Curriculum is based on the principle that children learn best through direct, hands-on experiences with people, objects, events, and ideas. During this active learning process, infants and toddlers are encouraged to discover the world around them by exploring and playing. Learning and development are anchored by long-term, trusting relationships with caregivers, who are close at hand to support the children as they play. Adults scaffold further learning as they interact with children throughout the day.
HighScope INFANT-TODDLER Curriculum Components
The Infant-Toddler Curriculum is the infant-toddler component of HighScope’s complete, research-based system of early childhood education and care. Components include:
- Proven teaching practices to support children’s growth and learning
- Content areas for infants and toddlers (ages 0–3)
- Assessment tools to evaluate and plan for children’s learning and measure program quality
- A training model to help caregivers implement the program effectively
Adults and Children — Partners in Learning
Active learning — whether planned by adults or initiated by children — is the central element of the HighScope Preschool Curriculum. Children learn through direct, hands-on experiences with people, objects, events, and ideas. Trained adults who understand child development and how to scaffold the important areas of learning in the preschool years offer guidance and support.
HighScope PRESCHOOL Curriculum Components
The preschool component of the HighScope Curriculum includes:
- A set of teaching practices for adult-child interaction, arranging the classroom and materials, and planning the daily routine
- Curriculum content areas for 3- to 5-year-olds
- Assessment tools to measure teaching behaviors and child progress
- A training model to help teachers implement the curriculum effectively